Last updated: April 2, 2011
The links below provide detailed information about our privacy practices:
- What is Personal Information:
- Collection of Personal Information:
- Use of Personal Information:
- Disclosure of Personal Information:
- No Spam, Spyware, or Spoofing:
- Security and Protection of Personal Information:
- Accessing, Reviewing, and Changing Your Personal Information:
- Third Parties:
- Questions or Concerns:
- Changes to this Statement:
We respect your right to privacy. Your ability to make informed choices about the uses of your information is important to us. This privacy statement explains our policy regarding the collection, use, disclosure and protection of personal information. The terms of this privacy statement apply to information collected from you, unless different terms are specified as part of a special offer, or in another form or contract we provide you and you consent to those terms by participating in the special offer or the program, or otherwise.
What is Personal Information:
Personal information is information that identifies an individual or is directly associated with a specific person or entity such as a name, address, telephone number, email address, credit card number, or information about activities which can be directly linked to that person, such as his or her purchases. Personal information also includes the information for processing of any of our services. Reference in this statement to "information you provide" includes information provided by you, your spouse or others added on.
Our definition of personal information does not include "aggregate" information. Aggregate information is data we collect about a group or category of products, services or website visitors, from which individual identities have been removed. In other words, information about how you use a service may be collected and combined with information about how others use the same service, but no personal information will be included in the resulting data. Likewise, information about the products you purchase may be collected and combined with information about the products purchased by others. Aggregate data helps us understand trends and customers´ needs so that we can better consider new products and services, and tailor existing products and services to our customers´ desires.
Collection of Personal Information:
You can browse our sites without telling us who you are or revealing any personal information about yourself. Once you give us your personal information, you are not anonymous to us. If you choose to provide us with personal information, you consent to the transfer and storage of that information on our servers located in the United States.
We may collect and store the following personal information:
- email address, physical contact information, and (depending on the service used) sometimes financial information, such as credit card or bank account numbers;
- shipping, billing and other information you provide to purchase or ship an item;
- community discussions, chats, dispute resolution, correspondence through our sites, and correspondence sent to us;
- other information from your interaction with our sites, services, content and advertising, including computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from the sites, ad data, IP address and standard web log information;
- additional information we ask you to submit to authenticate yourself or if we believe you are violating site policies (for example, we may ask you to send us an ID or bill to verify your address, or to answer additional questions online to help verify your identity or ownership of an item you list);
- information from other companies, such as demographic and navigation data; and
- other supplemental information from third parties (for example, if you incur a debt to Butterflyvista Corporation, we will generally conduct a credit check by obtaining additional information about you from a credit bureau, as permitted by law).
Use of Personal Information:
The personal information we collect is generally used to process your requests or transactions, provide you with high-quality service, tell you about opportunities we think will be of interest, and understand your needs so that we can serve you better. For example, we may use your telephone number, your email or your postal address to: (1) alert you about product recalls or safety issues; or (2) communicate membership opportunities and programs. We also may use personal information we collect to provide you with promotional information, which is information we believe will add value to your membership, such as discounts, promotions, or information about other services ("Promotional Information"). If you prefer not to receive Promotional Information from us, we make it easy for you to let us know. You may contact us at any time to decline Promotional Information, see Choices below.
Disclosure of Personal Information:
We do not sell, rent, share or disclose personal information to third parties without your prior consent, except in the limited circumstances described below:
We may provide to a third party information that is necessary to fulfill an order you have placed with us. For example, if you request shipment for a purchase, we may provide your address to the shipping carrier, and if you pay by a credit or debit card, your card number and sales transaction information are passed on to the card processor and/or issuer (including their service providers such as fraud verification services). However, we give suppliers, and others involved in the commerce distribution chain only the information needed to provide you the products or services you order, such as shipping and/or billing address, email address, telephone number and product orders. Moreover, we require them to keep the information confidential and not to use it for other purposes. We are not responsible for any additional information you provide directly to these parties, and we encourage you to become familiar with their practices before disclosing information directly to them.
We may contract with others to perform tasks or services on our behalf. For example, we might retain a company to process credit card payments, to email information about special offers, or to analyze data. If any of our contractors need access to your personal information, we require that they promise to use the information only to perform the tasks we have engaged them to perform. We also require that they maintain the confidentiality of the information and/or return the information to us when they no longer need it.
We may disclose personal information to respond to legal requirements, enforce our policies, respond to claims that a listing or other content violates the rights of others, or protect anyone's rights, property, or safety. Such information will be disclosed in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
We may also share your personal information with:
- Members of our corporate family to provide joint content and services (like registration, transactions and customer support), to help detect and prevent potentially illegal acts and violations of our policies, and to guide decisions about their products, services and communications. Members of our corporate family will use this information to send you marketing communications only if you have requested their services.
- Law enforcement or other governmental officials, in response to a verified request relating to a criminal investigation or alleged illegal activity. In such events, we will disclose information relevant to the investigation, such as name, city, state, zip code, telephone number, email address, User ID history, IP address, fraud complaints, and bidding and listing history.
Without limiting the above, in an effort to respect your privacy and our ability to keep the community free from bad actors, we will not otherwise disclose your personal information to law enforcement, other government officials, or other third parties without a subpoena, court order or substantially similar legal procedure, except when we believe in good faith that the disclosure of information is necessary to prevent imminent physical harm or financial loss or to report suspected illegal activity.
We use "cookies" (small files placed on your hard drive) on certain of our pages to help analyze our web page flow; customize our services, content and advertising; measure promotional effectiveness, and promote trust and safety.
A few important things you should know about cookies are that:
- Most cookies are "session cookies," meaning that they are automatically deleted from your hard drive at the end of a session.
- You are always free to decline our cookies if your browser permits, although doing so may interfere with your use of some of our sites or services.
- You may encounter cookies from third parties on certain pages of the sites that we do not control. (For example, if you view a web page created by another user, there may be a cookie placed by that web page.)
No Spam, Spyware, or Spoofing:
We and our users do not tolerate spam. Make sure to set your Butterflyvista communication preferences so we communicate to you as you prefer. You are not licensed to add any Butterflyvista email addresses to any mailing list (email or physical mail) without their express consent. To report Butterflyvista-related spam or spoof emails to us, please forward the email to our customer service department.
Security and Protection of Personal Information:
We work to protect the security of your information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you input.
We reveal only the last four digits of your credit card numbers when confirming an order. Of course, we transmit the entire credit card number to the appropriate credit card company during order processing.
It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer. Be sure to sign off when finished using a shared computer.
We have adopted security measures in an effort to protect personal information from loss, misuse or alteration while it is under our control. We use technical, contractual, administrative and physical measures in an effort to protect against unauthorized access. Personal information we collect is stored electronically and may be combined with other customer information.
We collect, process and maintain payment information, including credit card information, in compliance with the data security rules adopted by credit card companies such as Visa, MasterCard and American Express. This means that we do not retain debit card PINs or credit card security codes, and that any time we maintain a credit card number, such as when you create an online account, we use access controls and strong encryption to protect it. Further, when you enter personal information online, that information is encrypted using a security protocol called SSL (Secure Sockets Layer), which encrypts all information prior to transmitting it over the Internet. We also use SSL to allow you to securely view your online account and registration information.
Online account information is accessible only by using a password. To protect the confidentiality of personal information in your online account, you must keep your password confidential. You are responsible for all uses of butterflyvista.com by anyone using your password. If others have access to your computer or email, they may be able to find your password and obtain information about you (such as your credit card number), or change information in your user profile. You should not use an email account operated by an employer because many employers have the legal right to view your email or online accounts. Please advise us immediately if you believe your password has been misused.
Accessing, Reviewing, and Changing Your Personal Information:
On sites that offer a membership area, you can see, review and change most of your personal information by signing onto the site. Generally, we will not manually modify your personal information because it is very difficult to verify your identity remotely. You must promptly update your personal information if it changes or is inaccurate. Once you make a public posting, you may not be able to change or remove it. Upon your request, we will close your account and remove your personal information from view as soon as reasonably possible, based on your account activity and in accordance with applicable law. We do retain personal information from closed accounts to comply with law, prevent fraud, collect any fees owed, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigations, enforce our policies and take other actions otherwise permitted by law.
We give you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving certain information or to request that certain information not be shared with third parties, by giving you numerous methods to inform us of your decision. Your choice to opt-out will not apply to other accounts by other family members.
We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include fulfilling orders, delivering packages, sending postal mail and e-mail, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, providing search results and links (including paid listings and links), processing credit card payments, and providing customer service. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes.
Questions or Concerns:
If you have any questions or concerns about this privacy statement or would like to contact us for any reason, you can do the following:
- Contact us using our ´Contact Us´ feature or our email address.
- Write us at: Butterflyvista Corporation / 2118 Wilshire Blvd #753 / Santa Monica, CA 90403-5704
Changes to this Statement:
We reserve the right to change this privacy statement at any time, but will alert you that changes have been made by indicating at the top of the privacy statement the date it was last updated. We encourage you to review our privacy statement to make sure you understand how information you provide will be used. If there is ever a material change to how we use information you provide and the new uses are unrelated to uses we disclose in this statement, we will communicate the changes in advance.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V/SO/GI/GE